Categories:

Top 10 college football matchups in Week 7

Week 7 of College Football is the most wild full slate of games we will have all season. After how week 6 turned out, week 7 is the best possible way to follow up the madness week 6 brought to our television. With that being said, let’s get straight to it. Here are the top 10 College Football games for week 7.

10. #22 Pitt vs California

This is a big game for the 22nd ranked Pitt Panthers. They find themselves cracking the top 25 rankings for the first time this season as an undefeated ACC school. Pitt was not looked at as a contending team in the preseason, so one loss could tank their season because they are a very low ranked undefeated team. California on the other hand is coming off a loss to the Miami Hurricanes in a heartbreaker when Miami came back down from 20 plus points to beat California. They have two losses but Cal showed they can compete with the best in the Miami loss, so this could be challenging for Pitt.

9. #8 Tennessee vs Florida

The Florida Gators roll into Rocky Top to play the Volunteers, which is one of their many remaining tough matchups. Statistically, Florida has the toughest remaining schedule in the nation. The Tennessee Vols are led by Freshman Quarterback Nico Iamaleava who has been on fire to start the season, but was flustered by the Arkansas defense last game. In this case for Florida, they have a Quarterback concern. Will it be Freshman DJ Lagway or Senior Graham Mertz? This is a big game for the Tennessee title campaign and for Florida, to see what direction they will be leaning at the Quarterback position for right now.

8. #14 BYU vs Arizona

The Arizona Wildcats may have one of the better teams on paper in their conference, but they find themselves with two early season losses. Being led by star Wide Receiver and future NFL talent Tetairoa McMillan, they have a chance to hand another Big 12 conference school their first loss. BYU is in as the 14th ranked team in the nation, with a couple nice wins against SMU and Kansas State. However, BYU was not supposed to be where they are now, being projected to finish as low as 13th in their conference in the preseason. Arizona has a really good shot to win this game, in what some would call an upset. The story of the game for Arizona will be if Sophomore Quarterback Noah Fifita can find his playmakers, McMillan being the main target. The BYU Cougars look to maintain their undefeated record and hand Arizona loss number three.

7. #11 Iowa State vs West Virginia

Iowa State, who was underlooked in the preseason, rolls into Morgantown hoping to keep their undefeated season intact. The Cyclones are number 11 nationwide and number one in their conference. West Virginia is a two-loss team at the moment, but they aren’t a team you can sit back and play with your food in front of. Going into Morgantown, West Virginia is no easy task; it is an atmospheric stadium and can be rowdy. Iowa State looks to take down the West Virginia Mountaineers on the road and let the rest of this week’s chaos go in their favor as well.

6. #16 Utah vs Arizona State

It’s boom or bust time for the Utah Utes, as they will face off against the Arizona State Sun Devils this Friday. The big question mark for 16th ranked Utah will be if 7th year Senior Quarterback Cam Rising is good to go. Nobody knows the true answer to why a player can play this long in college athletics, but here he is. With such experience, Cam Rising was expected to take the Utes over the top this year, but his hand injury has other plans for him and his team. The overall outlook is that Rising will be able to suit up versus a sneaky 4-1 Arizona State squad. Look for the Utes to be on upset watch.

5. #4 Penn State vs USC

Do not let the fact that USC is unranked fool you: they can get on a roll and do it fast behind Junior Quarterback Miller Moss. The USC Trojans were ranked exactly one week ago at #11, before suffering a painful loss to Minnesota, dropping them out of the top 25 fully. Penn State is a physical team and it is no easy task going up against their stellar defense. The offensive side of the ball has improved much since last year for the Nittany Lions and Quarterback Drew Allar. He has gained many weapons to help him move the ball up the yard markers. However if USC comes out on top in this game, don’t call it an upset.

4. #18 Kansas State vs Colorado

Is the Colorado hype train real? This week’s game can answer that question for you. The Buffaloes roster Shedeur Sanders, the son of NFL Hall of Famer and current Colorado head coach Deion Sanders, along with Heisman trophy candidate that plays both sides of the ball, Travis Hunter. Hunter is both a Wide Receiver and Cornerback for this team while Sanders is the Quarterback. Over on the opposing sideline is Kansas State Wildcat and dual-threat Quarterback, Avery Johnson. Avery is known for torching defenses by being able to run the ball just as effectively as he throws it, making him tough to contain. This game means so much for both squads. The winner essentially eliminates the other from playoff seeding.

3. #9 Ole Miss vs #13 LSU

If high scoring offense is what you like, this game is for you. The Ole Miss Rebels are third in the nation in total points scored this year, led offensively by Quarterback Jaxson Dart and Wide Receiver Tre Harris. LSU lost their first game of the season to USC, but worked all the way back up to where they were in the preseason at 13. It has not been easy for LSU Tigers Quarterback Garrett Nussmeier to fill the shoes of last year’s LSU QB, Jayden Daniels, who won the Heisman trophy. Back on the Rebels side, Dart and Harris have been on the money to this point. Harris has caught 52 balls for 885 yards and five touchdowns. That is 173 more yards than any other receiver so far this season. Safe to say Dart knows how to get Harris the ball, but can LSU stop it?

2. #1 Texas vs #18 Oklahoma

Rivals clash at the Cotton Bowl! The Oklahoma Sooners will take on the number one ranked team in the land, the Texas Longhorns. If there is anything you should know about College Football, it should be that Oklahoma and Texas despise each other, and this famous rivalry is called “The Red River Rivalry.” Oklahoma’s defense is tied for third in total takeaways thus far. They are led by two heavy hitting Seniors, Danny Stutsman and Billy Bowman Jr. However, the offense is in trouble to start the season. They have changed their Quarterback and have had five Wide Receivers injured, but look for the Sooners receiving core to have a couple of them back for this rivalry game. Texas on the other hand has looked dominant with hardly any hiccups on offense or defense. Longhorns starting Quarterback Quinn Ewers missed a couple weeks due to an injury, but they still thrived behind backup and Freshman Arch Manning. Now, Ewers is healthy and amped up to be back under center. Memories will be made, hatred will grow, and the golden hat will be worn by only the winner of the 2024 Red River Rivalry.

1. #2 Ohio State vs #3 Oregon

A top 5 matchup is set for primetime Saturday evening between two brand new conference foes: The Oregon Ducks will host a battle against the Ohio State Buckeyes. The two-headed monster at Running Back, Quinshon Judkins and TreVeyon Henderson, look to shred up the Oregon defense. The Ohio State Quarterback, Will Howard, will look to keep finding his receivers, Emeka Egbuka and Jeremiah Smith, to keep this offense propelling. Ducks Quarterback Dillon Gabriel is a double transfer from UCF and Oklahoma, and now on his third school. Gabriel has progressively gotten better his past couple years, but his current offense is awaiting that one explosive game. This game has so much on the line for both teams, but nothing more than Ryan Day’s head coaching job for the Buckeyes.