Corry beats Clarion 3-0 in battle of #1 state-ranked team
Categories:

The Beavers host the Bobcats for most intense match up yet

Wednesday, September 25, the Clarion Bobcats traveled to Corry to face the Beavers in our home gym. The stands were packed as the first varsity match started at 7 p.m.

The Beavers were off to a strong start with a five point lead. In the middle of the match Corry and Clarion were tied 16-16. With the help of sophomore Grace Allen and senior Emmalee Carr, Corry gained the lead of 21-17. Once again, there was a tie, 22-22 as the Bobcats were beginning to make a comeback. Yet, Corry was able to stop them when seniors Halle Albers and Allison Sawyer had back-to-back kills, bringing the Beavers back into the lead. The first set finished when senior Payton McCray won the set with a service ace, the final score being 25-22.

The Bobcats took Corry in the lead at the beginning of the second set, holding seven points over the Beavers. Things were looking down for the Beavers when senior Halle Albers had three kills in a row. Albers revived the energy in the room and helped to pick the rest of the squad up. Near the end of the second set Clarion had a four point lead, the score being 24-20. The Beavers knew that it was important that they did not let the Bobcats score on the next serve. With a powerful block from two seniors, Allison Sawyer and Aubrey Chase, the score was now 24-21 as the Beavers continued to fight. An ace served by Albers, a kill by Allison Sawyer, another block by Aubrey Chase and the set was tied at 24-24. After errors made by both teams, the score was 26-25 Corry. Sophomore Grace Allen won the second set for the Beavers with a powerful kill.

The third set was tied several times and close the entire set. The set was tied at 22-22, when seniors Halle Albers and Allison Sawyer allowed Corry to gain the lead when they both brought in kills to bring the score up to 24-22. The third and final set came to an end when sophomore Grace Allen hit yet another insanely powerful kill, which allowed Corry to take the win.

Corry is now standing with an overall record of 6-1 and 3-0 in Region Four. Senior setter Payton McCray ended the night with twenty assists and seven digs. Senior libero Makenna Moore ended the night with a new team high of 18 digs. Senior Halle Albers and junior Grace Allen led the night with eight kills each, and senior Allison Sawyer had seven kills. Both seniors Albers and Sawyer had six digs, Allison also had three aces and four blocks. In the third set junior Sydney Mineo came into the service line and ended the night with a total of three digs, and sophomore Haley Mumau had 11 assists and five digs.

Thursday, September 26, is the Corry volleyball senior night. Senior night will begin at 6:45 p.m., come out and show your support for the nine seniors who all put so much time and effort into their sport.