A murder in the Amish Community of Spartansburg PA

Carol Fielding/The Corry Journal

On February 26, Rebekah Byler, a young six-month pregnant, 23-year-old Amish woman was murdered.

On Monday the 26 at 1:45 p.m. she was pronounced dead in Spartansburg, a mile from Route 89 near Sportsman Road, with clothes still hanging on the line, in front of their big, light-brown house, in Spartansburg Township, Pennsylvania, on Fish Flats Road, 21000 block.

Police say the investigation is a possible homicide, but did not reveal a lot of information. Police think the death was suspicious, and still do not know who the suspect is. “We do not have any suspects, or much else at this time,”  state police officer Lt. Mark Weindorf of Troop E stated. There are no suspects in custody.

The husband was not home. There were two toddlers, ages of 2 and 4, in the home, but they did not seem to have been touched or injured. A female family friend and Rebekah’s husband found her around the time of 12:30 p.m. The two of them found her in the living room.

The police do not have much to go off of, but say the 4-year-old child was able to give a short description of a suspect: a white male, possibly has a beard, and was wearing black Jordan shoes, including the suspicious red Jeep near the house around the time of the murder that the family members say they saw. “We continue to entertain multiple different theories or motivations for this crime” Lt. Weindorf stated.

They are not sure of the exact cause of death, but report she suffered gunshot wounds to the back and neck.
Tuesday March 5, 2024, an autopsy of the body will take place in Erie County, mid-afternoon to discover the cause of death.

Police ask anyone that has information or notice of a suspicious person to please contact them (814-663-2043). There is also a cash reward of $2,000 to the person that can give the authorities tips about the suspect that will lead them to arrest the person responsible or solving the crime.