Schools should start at 10:00 a.m.

School days should start at 10:00 a.m. in the morning instead of 8:30 when everyone is tired. I personally can’t learn anything in the mornings. I think that students would be more productive and healthy. Even teachers would benefit: they would have more time to grade assignments and make lessons. With everyone benefiting it would make an overall more productive school.

The American Academy of Sleep Medicine recommend teenagers from ages 13 to 18 should get eight to 10 hours of sleep regularly. Students who don’t get enough sleep are more likely to suffer from depression, perform poorly in school, and not engage in physical activity daily.

A 2018 study took two public schools in Seattle. Each school started an hour apart. It was found that the students who went to school later had grades that were 4.5 percent higher than the school that started early. In 2022 researchers foundĀ  that middle school and high school teachers in Colorado felt less stressed and more rested after three years after the high school started 70 minutes later and the middle school 40-60 minutes later.

For thoughts from some faulty and students in Corry on the subject of school start time, check out this survey.