• May 13Good luck on the Keystone Exams this week, Corry students!

Top 10 controversial childhood actors

10. Miley Cyrus

Although Cyrus is a Grammy winning music sensation, she also had an acting career in the early 2000s. Playing normal girl, “Miley Stewart,” as well as famous pop star, “Hannah Montana.” Cyrus also took a role in starring in “Hannah Montana: The Movie” which came out in 2009. This was basically the end of the Hannah Montana era, but Miley didn’t stop there. She began making music which had fans going crazy. It wasn’t until 2013 where Cyrus began to shock the world. This was the year that “Wrecking Ball” and her VMAs performance took place. Many people were baffled at the display of nudity and inappropriate actions in both the video and the performance. This was a new side of Miley that people were shocked to see. She received a bunch of backlash and people thought she had gone crazy.

9. The Olsen Twins

Ah, the good old days where the family would sit down watching “Full House” and adoring the entire cast. It was like that for years. The Tanner family kept everyone in good spirits. When the show ended in 1995, people were sad to see it go. It wasn’t until twenty years later that the old cast came back into the spotlight for “Fuller House.” What surprised fans was that “Michelle,” played by the Olsen Twins did not want to be a part of this reboot due to some crazy drama that happened in the past.

8. Jamie Lynn Spears 

Known as Britney Spears’ younger sister and popular Nickelodeon actress, Jamie Lynn Spears has had a bit of controversy in her years of acting. Starring as “Zoey” in the teenage show, “Zoey 101,” Jamie has had many incidents where she was known to have beef with some of her cast members. This may be shocking to some due to the fact that the onscreen relationships seemed genuine but according to her co-star, Alexa Nikolas, there was some unresolved drama. Jamie often stated that Alexa would spread rumors about her on set and would lie. This made Britney step in and threaten Alexa’s job which had the actress leave the show after the second season. Alexa then clapped back at Jamie saying that everything she was claiming was a complete lie and that Jamie was actually the bully in this scenario. Who do you think is in the wrong here?

7. Drake Bell

Early 2000s kids remember Drake Bell from his roles in “The Amanda Show” and starring in “Drake and Josh.” Bell had a small music career alongside acting. He released a few albums and even debuted No. 81 on the Billboard 200 in 2006. It wasn’t until 2015 where he was first arrested for driving under the influence. He was then released on a $20,000 bond and pleaded not guilty. For Bell, things began getting pretty hectic in August of 2020 where his ex-girlfriend Melissa Lingafelt alleged him of verbal and physical abuse as well as being inappropriate with under age girls. He was then arrested in 2021 and pleaded guilty for all charges involving multiple under age girls. He was then sentenced with two years parole and eventually fled to Mexico where he now sings Latin music and goes by the name ‘Drake Campana.’

6. Amanda Bynes

Nineties actress Amanda Bynes became famous for her show “All That” which aired on Nickelodeon before starring in her own show on the network called “The Amanda Show.” Later on she then announced her retirement from acting and that is magically when her erratic behavior started to show. With a bunch of legal drama and spending some time in rehab, Bynes had a terrible year in 2012. She was arrested on a DUI charge for two completely different hits and runs, and not even a year later she got arrested again for throwing substances out of a window in New York City. Bynes was also kicked out of school and had been admitted into yet another psychiatric hospital.

5. Adam Hicks

Disney Channel star Adam Hicks was well known for his jaw-dropping role in “Lemonade Mouth” which aired in 2011. Before that he played in shows such as “How to Eat Fried Worms,” and “Mostly Ghostly.” He also made some music while being signed to Walt Disney Records which consisted of pop and rap. It wasn’t until 2018 when Hicks and his girlfriend were arrested on suspicion of armed robbery. He then appeared in court as “mentally unstable” and wasn’t fit to stand trial. In 2019 he pleaded not guilty on two out of the three charges but was then arrested in 2021 with a five year sentence. He ended up getting released in March of 2022 on parole.

4. Jennette McCurdy 

Jennette McCurdy started out in her well-renowned role as Sam Puckett in Nickelodeon’s ‘iCarly’ where she won 4 teen choice awards. Later on in her career she pursued the same role in ‘Sam & Cat.’ Before quitting Nickelodeon acting. As a young child she started acting in hopes of pleasing her mother who pushed Jennette into acting in the first place. While she was basically used as a sort of income for her mother, the young actress was being exploited by old director, Dan Schneider. McCurdy has filed multiple abuse complaints toward the director as well as other young actresses. The inappropriate behavior towards Jennette had her quit professional acting completely. “I’m Glad My Mom Died” which was published by McCurdy in 2022 dives more into her grueling childhood and what it was like being a child actor.

3. Demi Lovato

Demi Lovato is well known for starring in the “Camp Rock” series as well as “Sonny With a Chance.” She ended up doing this while also trying to put together a music career. In 2009, when “Sonny With a Chance” aired, it became known to many that Demi was being bullied by her fellow co-stars. This resulted in her drug use which had her in rehab for the remainder of the show. There have also been times where Lovato has stated that she was also on drugs during the filming of “Camp Rock.” After six years of being sober, she relapsed where she had been in and out of rehab multiple times while also surviving a major overdose that led her into a dark spiral.

2. Lindsay Lohan 

We all know Lindsay from the popular movie “Mean Girls,” in which she played as a shy exchange student from Africa. Little do some people know that she has lived a far more different life than she did on screen. From a young age her reputation was plagued by drug addiction. She was arrested in 2007 for driving under the influence and drug possession. Many people could see that the addiction was changing Lindsay for the worst. She became erratic to the point where she wasn’t able to maintain any jobs and was constantly in and out of rehab. To this day people believe that she is on her way to recovery and remains sober.

1. Macaulay Culkin

“Home Alone” and “My Girl” fans have most definitely kept a close eye on Culkin throughout the years. Although he is an amazing actor, there have been some instances where he has let some fans down. In 2004, Macaulay was charged and arrested for possessing marijuana and a few non-prescription drugs after a car search late at night. There were many instances where he would have freak-outs in public which had people concerned for his behavior. A photo was then released where Culkin was looking frail and people began to spectate that it was the end for this Hollywood star. But not is all as it seems because as of now he is completely sober with a wife and child and he says that he has outgrown his old habits.