Super Bowl Monday should be a national holiday

The Super Bowl is one of the most known events in America. Super Bowl Sunday is a celebration for most families in the country. At this point, it should be a national holiday. 

I don’t think I could approach any American citizen from the ages 13-80 and they would say they don’t know what the Super Bowl is. Let’s be honest, even if you aren’t into football you know what it is. And even if you aren’t a football fan, it probably was playing wherever you were a few days ago. The week leading up to the big game, this event is everywhere in the media. And the week after the game, the event is still everywhere in the media. 

Kickoff is at 6:30 p.m. EST. They give it over an hour for the first half, around an hour for the halftime report/performance, and over another hour for the second half. This is being generous with time, because this past Sunday the game ended at 11 p.m. That is four and a half hours for the game, but celebrations for some people last longer. But for us who have to go to school and work, the Super Bowl is difficult. We gather with friends and family to eat, drink, and watch football (or maybe just the commercials and halftime performance…) and still have to get up at the crack of dawn on a Monday. 

Schools located in the cities of the two teams going to the Super Bowl get canceled the following day, but everyone else in the country is up just as late watching and celebrating. Why do we not get any leeway? Besides, statistics have proven over and over again that the Monday after the Super Bowl is the highest called off day of work and school of the year. Super Bowl Monday needs to become a national holiday, and if we cannot afford to miss another day of school then make us go on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. It is so close to our winter break that we do not need another day off so soon, and I think everyone would rather have Super Bowl Monday off of their usual duties.