Alaska Airlines plane door detached during flight

On Friday, January 5, 2024, Alaska Airline flight 1282 would take off from Portland to Ontario, California.  The flight landed just 20 minutes after taking off. During the flight an emergency door that was on the plane detached exposing multiple passengers to a dangerous altitude of 16,000 feet in the air. This is when the pilot made the safest choice to turn the plane around and make an emergency landing.

This type of plane was also responsible for multiple other malfunctions and crashes, most of which ended in large amounts of casualties. Investigations are still going on, concerning the structure of the plane. This is concerning because it deals with the well-being of people travelling, and holds a huge life or death risk. Should the plane be discontinued completely or remodeled? This plane has already been modified from the previous crashes, and is still enduring very dangerous circumstances. United had announced that they had inspected multiple of the planes, and found loose bolts. They did not disclose how many planes they found the malfunction on. United had also suspended the use of the Boeing 737 Max 9 planes, until further notice.

The plane’s emergency door was found in a teacher’s backyard in Portland, Oregon. A phone was also discovered in Portland. This goes to show the danger of and severity of the situation. Gratefully, nobody suffered extreme injuries, and there were no casualties. The seats that were also near the emergency door did not have any passengers, which is a very lucky circumstance.