• April 22Decision Day Event is Friday, May 3, at 1:30 p.m. in the East Gym!

Which is better: Kindle or physical books?

Do you like having your own personal library, or would you rather keep everything digital? I recently got a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas and I was a bit nervous that I would not like reading on a screen. I have trouble reading on computers and my phone, so buying a tablet for reading was a long-shot. I’ve already added a bunch of digital books to my library and read one so far.

The Kindle has a soft, paper-like screen and it is super easy to navigate. You can make annotations and save pages, which are kept with the book so you can always revisit your notes. I use highlighters, pens, and tabbing stickers when reading my books so having all of that already on the device within the tools makes everything so much more convenient and portable. The battery life is so good and it can last for hours while only on 4%. I only have a very small pet peeve, but it is nothing that makes me dislike the Kindle. I wish there was a home screen so I could put a cute background and then I would be all set.

Physical copies are classic. The smell of the new books is my absolute favorite and I just love the cover art as well as the art under the hardcovers. With physical copies, I am able to see that my book was loved with all the writing and tabs throughout it. Some downsides with these are that I have to carry around my extra supplies, and I cannot read them in the dark.

I honestly don’t think I could pick between the two overall, but both give me certain perks and work well for different places. The Kindle is good for outings and night time reading, while the physical books are best for at home reading and day time reading.

I would highly recommend a Kindle or any of the other book devices if you are a phone reader and want to get more into reading!