Holiday plans during a pandemic

Rachael Hajec, Editor

The holidays are coming close and around this time people are usually getting ready to go Black Friday shopping, preparing Thanksgiving dinner, hanging out with friends and family over break, and maybe even setting up their Christmas decorations. However, things are looking a little different due to COVID-19. As everyone is recommended to stay inside and just come into close contact with their family in their household, this can become difficult around this time of year especially. November and December are usually the busiest times of year everywhere, (as Thanksgiving and Christmas are the most engaging holidays.)

Personally, my plans for Thanksgiving are very minuscule this year. My mom, step dad, brother and I will be staying at home, making a nice little dinner, probably playing a few games, and then delivering some leftovers for other family members that we are unable to spend close, quality time with. Since my family is pretty large, this will be very difficult because this time of year is my favorite. Although I do like Christmas more, not spending Thanksgiving like normal is definitely a hard thing to do. A few high school students have some input about their plans for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and how they feel about the upcoming changes.

Junior Sam Goodwill said, “COVID hasn’t affected my travel plans too much. Since we’re all currently quarantined, we’re hoping to still go to my grandparents out of state for Thanksgiving, but if things change we will just stay home and have a small dinner with our local family.” She also added that, “During Christmas time we always stay in town and celebrate with our close family, so our Christmas plans won’t be affected by COVID.”

Kendall Keener, also a junior at Corry, said, “Honestly I am really scared about everyone’s mental health this holiday season. Seasonal depression really hits a lot of people, and now that traditions are ruined and everyone is quarantined, I’m afraid there will be an increase of depression while starting the new year.” Also, when discussing her plans for the holidays specifically she said, “As a student, I am upset we cannot spend the day before break watching Christmas movies with friends and eating an absurd amount of junk food. Although, I am spending the holidays with my immediate family since my grandparents cancelled Thanksgiving this year because they do not want to risk being infected. With this, I totally understand.”

Carter Slocum, freshman at Corry said, “Every Thanksgiving and Christmas my family gets together including my mom’s side and my dad’s side. This year I don’t think we will have a big dinner with my dad’s side because my grandfather is not that healthy, and we do not want to risk him being infected. I don’t really know my Christmas plans though because we haven’t really talked about it. However, for my mom’s side of the family we are going to try and have a limited number for Thanksgiving dinner next week!”

As students wrap up all their assignments for the next week, Thanksgiving break can still be an exciting thing. While spending time with close family and staying safe, it can be a nice time off of school, work, and/or other activities people participate in regularly. Thanksgiving and Christmas spirit is just what we all need to lighten up the mood during this pandemic. Stay safe this holiday season, and make sure to wear your mask.