College: pros and cons

College: pros and cons

It has always been a debate whether people would want to spend years after high school in college. Some people do not like the idea and some people think it is great. This unbiased article will fairly show the positive and negative things that come with going to college. Why people should, or should not consider going. However, it is up to readers to decide which side they agree with. 

Let’s begin with the positives. Obviously, going to a university can bring great opportunities. People can make new friends, and those friendships can last a lifetime. Bonding with new people is important and very common in college. Kids also get to experience a different part of the country (or world if they study abroad). As well as this, they will be exposed to different people they may not experience in their hometown. Seeing different cultures and places and different ways of living are great things for people to see. The most obvious positive factor would be to gain an education to make them capable of getting a certain future career. It is better if a student is studying a specific career like becoming a pilot, childhood education, cosmetology, etc. Then they should be guaranteed to have a job in that field and getting hired should be easy if they specifically studied that one career field. College students also will get a taste of living on their own and without their family, having new responsibilities to take on. They have more freedom and control every aspect of their life on their own. College kids get thrown into it quickly, but usually can adjust and get them ready for the rest of their life with adulthood. 

These are all great factors that come with college, right? Now let’s take a look at the cons that come with going to college. 

First of all, college can be very lonely for people if they do not immediately click with others. People eat alone, stay in their dorm room all day, and do not get much exposure if they do not have a friend attending the same college or if they do not meet someone new. It is important to make friends, but for those people who are shy and reserved and can’t help it, that would be difficult. Another reason people are anti-college is because of the biggest factor, the price. Many kids do not have much or any help with the financial part of college. Scholarships are available, but many other expenses come and take years to pay off. If they got a steady job somewhere and worked their way up higher in the company over years, they probably would be saving/making more money than those in college without a steady job and having student loans to pay. This goes hand in hand with the reason that there are many great jobs that do not require college education. Or people think that working and building their work experience resume for the four years other kids their age spend at college is a smarter way to spend their time. The last reason is that many degrees are almost pointless, and go to waste. According to Next Gen Personal Finance, only 46% of college graduates are currently working in their field of study. That means over half of college graduates in America are not using their degree that they spent money and years on earning. 

Personally, I see both sides of the debate. I will be attending college but would not question anyone who chooses not to. For example, some people are lucky enough to have a parent that owns a business, and in that case I would completely support them skipping college and following their parents’ footsteps, and they will one day get the business themselves (if that is what they are interested in). Both points of view are very valid and can be backed by strong reasons like the ones listed above. Which side do you agree with?