Top 10 true crime podcasts

True crime may be frightful to think about, though many people enjoy listening to people tell these stories. Podcasts are a very popular source to listen to true crime. There are many different podcast creators, you just have to find someone you enjoy listening to. Here are my top 10 true crime podcasts.

1. “Murder, Mystery & Makeup”

The podcast “Murder, Mystery & Makeup” was created by Bailey Sarian, a young woman who enjoys doing makeup and digging into true crime stories. You can find almost any true crime story on her podcast, and she posts a new story every Monday. The environment she creates is very soothing. She also has a YouTube channel where you can watch her do her makeup and listen to the stories at the same time.

2. “Crime Junkie”

“Crime Junkie” is a more popular and well-known podcast. There are two hosts in this podcast, Ashley Flowers and Brit Prawat. They also follow more of the same historic crimes as other podcasts, though they know how to really hook you to listen.

3. “Love, Marry, Kill”

Rich and Tina are a married couple who host “Love, Marry, Kill.” They post a new podcast once every week. The couple discusses other couples that have been involved in some sort of crime. Whether its murder, disappearances or Bonnie and Clyde situations, Rich and Tina have it covered.

4. “Over My Dead Body”

The writers of this podcast are Mathew Shaer and Eric Benson. The hosts are Mathew Shaer, Jennifer Portman, and Robert Moor. “Over My Dead Body”  is an anthology series, so every episode is different.  The episode will switch between speakers, which creates a more eerie feel to the stories.

5. “Bedtime Stories”

Ballen studios is the creator of “Bedtime Stories.” This podcast is newer and releases a new story every week. The speaker in the podcast is a male who creates a feeling of suspense throughout the story due to his low voice, which can also lead you to become sleepy. So far they only have six episodes, all equally enjoyable.

6. “Criminal”

This podcast is hosted by Phoebe Judge. This podcast, unlike the others I have mentioned, is more of a documentary. There are different stories every episode but the way the stories are told feel more informational rather than entertainment. They don’t use their tone to create suspense, instead they just tell the story to get the information across. This podcast keeps their viewers engaged by bringing in people that were a part of the crime using interviews.

7. “Murder in Apartment 12″

This one is unlike the other podcasts I have listed.”Murder in Apartment 12” follows one specific crime story. Nona Dirksmeyer, a young beauty queen in Arkansas was murdered just days before her 20th birthday. Keith Morrison is the host of this Dateline NBC podcast.

8. “Unrestorable”

This podcast also follows one story. This one only has three episodes due to it just recently coming out. This podcast follows the story of Catherine Hoggle and the disappearance of her two kids. So far it is quite enjoyable and has me hooked as I am on the edge of my seat for the next episode.

9. “My Favorite Murder”

Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark are the hosts of this true crime comedy. These episodes are less known stories, rather they take stories from people they know and their listeners and share them. Though, they do use some more known stories. They also include more interviews than most podcasts.

10. “This is Actually Happening”

This podcast is hosted by Whit Missildine. She talks to people who have gone through horrific things and shares them with the world. Some of these stories are mind puzzling, things you would never think of happening that actually happened.