Corbin Carroll: A new definition of speed

Rookie Corbin Carroll lives up to the hype, impressing many early into the season.

Jonathan Albers, Editor

Major League Baseball has a new star on its hands: speedster outfielder Corbin Carroll.

Carroll has been one of MLB’s highly touted prospects  for years now. Caroll was born in the year 2000 in Seattle Washington. He attended Lakeside High School, where he was drafted in the first round of the 2019 MLB Draft.

Corbin tore through the Minor Leagues, posting a slash-line of .310 BA/.426 OBP/.588 SLG/1.014 OPS in three seasons. In his time in the minors, Carroll’s speed was on full display. Carroll swiped 52 bags while only being caught seven times. Carroll made his debut on August 29, 2022 after a very successful year in AA and AAA. In 32 games, Carroll slashed .260 BA/.330 OBP/.500 SLG/.830 OPS with only two stolen bags. For a player with game breaking speed like Carroll, two bags seems a little light, though the new rules for the 2023 season set Carroll up for dominance on the base paths.

As expected, Carroll made the Diamondbacks 2023 roster out of spring training. So far this season, Carroll is off to a hot start. In the first five games of the season, Carroll is slashing .333 BA/.333 OBP/.556 SLG/.889 OPS with three stolen bags. In the final game of the opening series, Carroll swiped second and third against Dodger catcher Will Smith. Carroll got such a jump that Smith couldn’t even get a throw off. Another play that showed off Carroll’s speed was again in the opening series against the Dodgers. Carroll hit a bloop into shallow right field, and Dodger star Mookie Betts tried to rush the throw because of Carroll’s speed, slightly bobbling the ball. Betts is famous for having a cannon for an arm, so the fact that Carroll made Betts rush the throw is very impressive.

I had the privilege to talk about Carroll to former minor league player and current minor league manager Shawn Roof. Roof is the current manager of the Amarillo Sod Poodles, which is the AA team for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Roof has an eye for baseball talent, and this is what he had to say about the young speedster. “I have worked with Corbin for about a year now. I think he (Carroll) has a chance to be a perennial all-star, a face of the franchise, a face of the league, and I could see him playing himself into being a Hall of Famer.”

Roof was Carroll’s skipper for part of the 2022 season before he got called up to AAA. “Having a Player like him is huge for the Dbacks,” Roof said. “Players like Corbin make everyone around them better, and his ability could take us to the next level. He will only get better and better.”

“But as big as [Carroll] is on the field, he is just as big for the organization off the field. For the fans, the community, the league,” Roof continued. “He’s so good with kids, signing autographs, taking pictures, and having conversations with people. People love being around him”

Roof closed with, “He is great for the game of baseball.”

People all around Carroll feel as Roof does. Carroll has the talents to be one of the leagues best, even at this young age. Carroll will only get better as time goes on. With the new rules in full effect, we’re all lucky to see him breakout into a superstar.