Bring back the backpack

Bring back the backpack

Ashton Mineo, Reporter

After two years of allowing students to carry their backpacks throughout the school day, the school has since rescinded this policy. Students are now required to keep their bags in their lockers and carry their belonging by hand from class to class. This policy has caused a lot of problems and frustration for both students and faculty. Many people, including myself, believe that this policy should be abolished.

To start, I find it very annoying to go back and forth to my locker after every single class period to exchange things. Especially when one’s locker is far away from their next class, it complicates things even further. Teachers are experiencing a lot of their kids being late to class and this is obviously frustrating forĀ  both sides. Kids are also much more likely to forget a supply in their locker, so they would have to go back to their locker and waste more time. To make matters worse, the school’s renovation has been going on throughout the year and a majority of the students have had to change lockers. The whole thing is awfully executed, and its a complete mess. These issues have made this school year very frustrating at times.

I believe that if the school allowed backpacks, life would be a lot easier for both staff and students. I have had many personal problems with this issue, and I hope students don’t have to experience this in the future. I actually don’t even have a locker at this moment even though I was told I would be getting one. The whole situation is very frustrating and I think the clear solution is to bring back the backpack.