Corry wrestlers perform at Keystone State Championships

MaKenna Moore, Editor

On Friday March 17 to Sunday March 19, junior high wrestlers and Corry Kids Wrestling went to Indiana, PA, to compete in the 2023 Keystone State Championships held on the campus at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

There were three freshmen boys from Corry High’s varsity wrestling team that competed in the championship. The three boys were Keystone State medalists from Corry High Steven Willis, who competed in the 15-16 age division and 110 pound weight class and who took 1st place, earning the label of being State Champion; Marcus Meredith, who competed in the 13-14 age division and in the 125 pound weight class, earned 8th place; and finally, Owen Nickerson, who competed in the 15-16 age division and the 250 pound weight class ending in 6th place.

There were three Corry Junior High girl wrestlers that were also Keystone State medalists: Lexi Lauta, Finley Fourspring, and Makenna Williams. Lexi Lauta competed in the JH 105 pound weight class, placed 1st, and got labeled as the State Champion; Finley Fourspring competed in the 85 pound weight class and placed 3rd; and Makenna Williams competed in the 11-12 age division and the 95 pound weight class, ending up placing 4th.

The Corry Kids Wrestlers also showed up, and there were two boys who are Keystone State medalists. Fenton Fourspring competed in the 10U age division and in the 70 pound weight class, and he placed second, being labeled State runner up. Alex Hellyer competed in the 11-12 age division and the 60 pound weight class, and he ended up placing 5th.