Ten universities in PA to consider for graduating students

Ruthie Light, Editor

As the end of the school year is approaching, many students are beginning to research universities that they may attend when they graduate. Many individuals would be surprised to hear that even most graduating seniors aren’t certain of their next steps after graduation. People spend their whole lives finding themselves and recognizing their strengths that will help them determine what their lives hold. This is why finding the right university to attend, that will comply with an individual’s strong-suits and expectations, is very important. With that being said, this is a list of 10 universities in Pennsylvania that could very well be a suitable match for any soon-to-be graduate or high school student:

1. University of Pennsylvania

The University of Pennsylvania is a private, ivy league, research university that is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This institution has been ranked as one of the top universities in America, which Pennsylvania flaunts proudly. A fun fact about the University of Pennsylvania is that it is the fourth-oldest institution of higher education in the United States. The University of Pennsylvania is best for people who would like to pursue finance, economics and quantitative economics, and registered nursing. However, the university also specializes in areas of philosophy, computer and information sciences, business administration and management, political science and government, etc. For more information, click here!

1. Carnegie Mellon University

Carnegie Mellon University is a private research university, that is located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Something that is unknown by most regarding Carnegie Mellon University is that it actually used to be two different institutions. As it was established in 1900, the Carnegie Institute of Technology merged with the Mellon Institute of Industrial Research. From this, Carnegie Mellon University was born. Carnegie Mellon University is recommended for individuals who are looking to pursue computer science, electrical and electronics engineering, and statistics. The university also offers areas of study such as: business administration and management, mechanical engineering, systems science and theory, chemical engineering, etc. For more information, click here!

1. Slippery Rock University

Slippery Rock University, formerly known as Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania, is a public university that is located at Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania. This university is actually a member of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education. A fun fact about Slippery Rock University is that it is set on 611 acres of land. Students who are looking to study occupational safety and health technology, special education and teaching, and public health would be very excited to know that Slippery Rock University specializes in these areas. More areas that this university specializes in include health and wellness, psychology, multidisciplinary studies, business administration and management, etc. For more information, click here!

1. Villanova university

Villanova University is a private, Roman Catholic university that is located in Villanova, Pennsylvania. This university was named after Saint Thomas of Villanova by the Augustinians, who founded it, in 1842. Villanova University is actually the oldest Catholic university in Pennsylvania and one of only two Augistinan institutions in the United States! Villanova University specializes in areas of Finance, registered nursing, and speech communication and rhetoric. However, the university also specializes in (quantitative) economics, political science and government, management science, etc. For more information, click here

1. University of Pittsburgh

The University of Pittsburgh is a public, state-related research university that is located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This university is actually composed of 17 different undergraduate and graduate schools and colleges at its metropolitan campus. This campus is home to the university’s central administration and around 28,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The University of Pittsburgh is recommended for individuals who are looking to pursue research and experimental psychology, biology, and nursing. The university also offers areas of study such as: computer science, marketing/marketing management, finance, neuroscience, etc. For more information, click here!

1. Penn State University

Penn State University is a public, state-related, land-grant, research university with 20 campuses and facilities in Pennsylvania! These campuses and facilities are located in Abington, Logan Township, Monaca, Erie, Spring Township, Media, DuBois, OnionTown, Mckeesport, Middletown, Hazelton, Center Valley, Mont Alto, New Kensington, Schuylkill Haven, Dunmore, Sharon, Lehman, York, and University park. This university was formerly known as the Farmers’ Highschool of Pennsylvania, which was founded in 1855. In 1863, though, Penn State became the state’s only land-grant university. These schools all differ by areas of study such as: agricultural science, arts and architecture, business, communications, and much more. For more information, click here!

1. Drexel University

Drexel University is a private research university with its main campus that is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Financier and philanthropist, Anthony J. Drexel, founded Drexel’s undergraduate school in 1891. Drexel University specializes in areas of nursing, accounting in finance, and mechanical engineering. However, they also specialize in marketing, biology, computer science, actuarial science, etc. For more information, click here!

1. Temple University

Temple University is a public state-related research university that is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was founded in 1884 by the Baptist minister Russell Conwell and his congregation Grace Baptist Church of Philadelphia. Following that, it was originally named the “Baptist Temple”. However, on May 12, 1888, it was renamed the Temple College of Philadelphia. Temple University would be best for individuals who want to pursue psychology, marketing, and finance. Along with these, they also offer programs in biology, radio and television, criminal justice/safety studies, health services, etc. For more information, click here!

1. Thomas Jefferson University

Thomas Jefferson University is a private research university that is located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This university’s earliest form of establishment was in 1824, though the university officially combined with Philadelphia University in 2017. To imply its heritage, the university sometimes carries the nomenclature Jefferson in its branding. Thomas Jefferson University is recommended for individuals who are looking to pursue registered nursing, health services, and family practice nursing. They also offer areas of study such as: allied health diagnostics, fashion merchandising, architectural and building science, health/healthcare administration, etc. With that being said, Thomas Jefferson University is primarily a nursing school, but there are also plenty of other majors and minors they offer as well. For more information, click here!

1. Gannon University

Gannon University is a private, Catholic university that is located in Erie, Pennsylvania. This university has precisely 4,500 students and 46,000 alumni. Gannon University’s intercollegiate athletics include 18 athletic programs for men and women. In fact, they also compete at the NCAA Division II level. Gannon offers many different areas of study. They are best attended for their programs in health professions and related clinical sciences, registered nursing, and criminal justice/safety studies. However, they also offer programs in kinesiology and exercise science, biology/biological sciences, bioengineering and biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering, etc. For more information, click here!