Corry singers shine at PMEA chorus competition

MaKenna Moore, Editor

This past weekend on Thursday, January 12 Corry High Honors Chorus headed to Warren High to compete in the PMEA District 2 chorus competition.

On Thursday and Friday there were rehearsals for the singers, and then the concert started on the 14 after a banquet to celebrate the singers’ achievements, and then the competition ended on that Sunday. The following students attended the concert: Ryah Lambert, Lauren Thomas, Camryn Fox, Hunter LaSalvia, Markus Lambert, Austin Nickerson, Cooper Slocum, Lexi Heiser, and Luke Hurd.

The students auditioned in the fall for Mrs. Smrcka, and only chose the top applications to take to the competition. Once there, they audition on their knowledge of the music to be performed there. Each student is asked to sing two sections of the pieces by themselves for a panel of judges. They find out which sections they are required to sing independently maybe five minutes before they are judged. The top 10 scorers in each voice section (soprano, alto, tenor, bass) move on to Region Choir.

All of the students were a part of a 165-person choir from 36 different schools that practiced and gave a public concert of music. In the audition rankings, Ryah, Camryn, Hunter, Markus, Cooper, Lexi, and Luke all received enough points to advance to the Region II Chorus that will take place in February.

The singers in the concert usually perform as a choir, and there are a few solos mixed in. There are only two very prestigious spots for concert solos. Corry senior Ryah Lambert received the top spot for the concert solos with her performance of the song Disneyland. Smrcka said, “She is only the second Corry student since I have been in high school to receive a concert solo!”

A special congratulations to Corry senior Ryah Lambert, who was chosen to perform a concert solo, in addition to taking first chair in her section at districts for the third year in a row.